In a building dating back to the second half of the 15th century...
THE LAPIDARY MUSEUM


| map of region | map of town | ground plan | photobook-1 | photobook-2 | reserved | reserved | reserved |


The Lapidary Museum, in a building dating back to the second half of the 15th century, reflects a strong Italian influence.

Today we assume
that the building, built in the courtyard of the Saint Sophia Cathedral (Selimiye Cami) was used as a guesthouse for pilgrims and travelers.

In the building, that was turned into a Lapidary Museum, architectural pieces belonging to the Middle Ages (received from different places) and various stone antiquities are exhibited.

The Gothic style window, situated where the building opens up to the courtyard, has been brought and installed here after the British brought down the old Lusignan Palace (1905).

Although the building was built during the Venetian period, with the additions made afterwards Gothic features have also been added.

The museum has been rearranged and opened to visitors on June 23, 2003.

RECOMMENDED!


| | reserved | reserved | reserved | reserved | to be continued |