or Trakhonas (Kizilbash), (now:
Kizilay). This village like Trakhoni probably takes its name
from former quarries of hard stone, traces of which may be observed
near the river. The name does not appear on the old maps but in its
place seems to have existed a village under the name of 'Ara',
mentioned in one of Amadi's
stories (Chronicles of Amadi, p. 467). The village church dedicated
to the Panagia, is a small ancient monotholos, now in course of gradual
reconstruction on a larger scale. The eastern part still survives with
its iconostasis of XVIIIth century style, and in front of it two grave
slabs from which the effigies have entirely disappeared. Over the south
door within a picturesque narthex or loggia is a medieval shield of
arms: p.p.p. a plain cross, a fess; also a square panel containing an
elaborate XVIth century shield beneath a helmet with the coat of arms,
barry of three. The wooden door beneath is dated 1773. Several fine
fragments of some medieval building are inserted in the south wall,
amongst others a beautiful XIVth century capital with a human face and
(now: Gayretköv), was known
in the middle ages as 'Avelone'
(vide 'Les Assises'). It possesses a church of St. George and
a chapel of the Khardhakiotissa (supposed to benefit intestinal complaints),
both of them buildings of the XIXth century style. The place-name Alona,
Salona, etc., refers to a thrashing floor; this Alona near Morphou seems
to have been one of the principal centres of the Messaoria, during the
The Peristerona River
widens out into vast expanses of shingle between Peristerona
On its northern bank are the insignificant villages of Masari or Masara
(now: Sahinlar), Phylia or Philia
(now: Serhadköy) , Kyra (now:
Mevlevi) , and Khrysiliou
or Chrysiliou (now:
?). The last named is an ancient settlement, as it is marked
on the old maps, and at Kyra
Dr. Ross (1845) found tombs, partly ancient and partly 'Frankish' at
a monastery known as 'St. George the Royal', probably meaning the village
church which has since been rebuilt. In this neighbourhood was a medieval
'Casal' named Zenuri or Tenari, a corrupted form of the famous family
name De Nores.
is a modern village.
(now: Akcay) is marked on the old
maps as 'Ariati',
it possesses a modernised church dedicated to St. Barbara.
(now: Yu. Bostanci)
and Kato Zodia (now:
As. Bostanci), is a large village and agricultural centre.
Its churches of the Stavros, St. George, and the Archangel are all in
the usual modern and unattractive style.
(now: Yayla), on the west side of
Morphou, as its name implies, must be an old Maronite settlement, but
it retains nothing of any interest. Its small church of St. Nicholas
has been modernised.
Pnasi Monastery, near Syrianokhori
(now: Yayla), is one of the small
incomplete foundations of modern times with a poor little chapel dedicated
to the B.V.M. Kalokhorio, or Kaputi, a modern hamlet.
On the south side of Morphou the villages of Niketa
or Ay. Niketas
(now: Günesköy), Prastion
(now: Aydinköy), Elea (now:
Doganci), with a church of St. George, Pendayia
(now: Yesilyurt), a mere collection
of mud buildings of the poorest description, with small rebuilt churches
devoid of interest. The last mentioned hamlet was perhaps of greater
importance in the middle ages, for the great bay on this side of the
island was then known as the 'Bay
of Pentayia', and this now very insignificant
place gave its name to the barony
of Pentayia or 'five
saints'. The modernised village
church is dedicated to SS. Sergius and Bacchus.
A large mud building enclosure with a small chapel at one side of no
great age. A curious inscription in Greek of the XVIth century no longer
visible, recorded the foundation of this monastery (see Turner's 'Travels',
1815). A few ancient fragments from the neighbouring site of Solea lie
scattered about the inclosure, or have been used up in its walls, amongst
them are five large marble capitals from some ancient temple. Traces
of foundations and ruins of an important settlement of former days may
be found in the immediate neighbourhood of this monastery and of the
modern hamlet of Pendayia, and the ruins of another important monastery
are conspicuous towards the south.
The Petrasidis River, on which Pendayia
(now: Yesilyurt) is situated, takes
its name from the prettily situated and once important village of Petra,
a place frequently mentioned in the chronicles. Here there was until
recently a very picturesque Byzantine church, dedicated to the Transfiguration,
or Chrysosoteros. The other churches of the village dedicated to SS.
Basil, Marina, and Zacharias are of no particular interest. The church
of the Transfiguration seems to have been converted into a mosque, and
much mutilated by the substitution of a wooden roof for the dome which
formerly covered it.